Thursday, October 11, 2012

October 5, 2012

It's been an interesting few days. Wednesday morning I woke up not feeling well, but came to work thinking I was just tired and being lazy. It didn't take long for me to realize I had a fever and I couldn't stop shaking, even though it was not cold in the office. I felt nauseous and couldn't eat breakfast. I left after lunch to rest and try eating at home. I wasn't feeling much better and sent a text to my friend to ask for her advice on what to do. She just happens to be pregnant with twins, plus she's a L&D nurse, so she's a very reliable source. She said if you have a fever, you should go to the doctor. After talking to her, I decided to make a trip to urgent care around 7p.m. that night. The doctor was great and he did a urine test and blood test to see what was going on. Turns out, I have a bacterial infection (possibly related to my kidneys) and they put me on antibiotics to help cure it. My back had been hurting so bad lately, but I assumed it was just pregnancy related. The antibiotics have helped with the back pain and it's nice to know that unbearable pain isn't normal (well, at least not yet anyway). I still had a fever the next day, but it went away and I was able to get some work done. 

Fall is my favorite time of year for many reasons. I love the weather change, football season and maybe most importantly, the Tulsa State Fair! Dell and I were able to go to the fair with friends on Tuesday night after work and I ate lots of good stuff. We had beer-battered cheese curds, cheese on a stick, fried Snickers, pineapple whip, chocolate-dipped cookie dough, fried macaroni and cheese, fried ravioli, fried pickles, fried mashed potatoes, ice cream, lemonade, etc. Don't judge - it was Nola's first trip to the fair and she WANTED all of these things. Also, there were many of us sharing these things so the calories were split multiple ways. However, while we were there I saw many things I wanted to try when we returned on Sunday. I was really looking forward to the return trip to the fair. Then, I got sick. After that, Dell thought that going to the fair wasn't the best idea for me - too many people, animals and germs being shared and I needed to focus on getting better. This was a big bummer for me, but I knew he was right. So, we canceled the trip with our friends from Arkansas and I'll have to wait until next year to try more fair food. I know this is one of many sacrifices for baby Nola coming my way and I'm okay with it. But, next year, we go big! 

Something else that's been happening lately is that Nola moves around a lot. She's active and feels very strong for a little 2 pound human being. It is weird sometimes to feel her random, rapid movements, but I really do love it. It's much easier for others to feel her now too, which has been fun for Dell. The one thing I don't like is the fact that she hangs out in my ribs sometimes. It's so odd that she chooses the right side of my ribs to poke around in. It's never the left side, only the right, and it hurts! I try to push her out, but she's stubborn like her momma and just goes right back. I haven't determined if it's her feet up there kicking around or what, but it's not pleasant. I imagine I'm not the first mother-to-be to think of this, but if I could have something placed there to block her from entering the no-wake-rib-zone, I really would. 

We go back to the doctor next week for the glucose test and ultrasound. I just hope and pray that I pass! 

No comments:

Post a Comment