Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Things I've learned or been surprised by so far

A little less than two weeks in and here are some honest, random and somewhat raw thoughts from a new mom:
 
I've never been so tired in my entire life. I knew it would be hard, but didn't realize how hard not sleeping all night would be on me.  I'm grateful for last night when she was so much easier on me.

Breastfeeding is a real pain in the butt right now. Note to self: calling lactation consultants for advice might send you over the edge of feeling like a mommy failure.

I miss spending time with my husband.

Hormones make you crazy. I wasn't emotional my entire pregnancy and now I feel like I cry all the time ... reading a book to Nola, Dell saying something sweet about her or I, thinking about her growing up too fast or even a Disney cruise commercial. Honestly. When did I become that girl? 

Taking care of a tiny human is scary. 

I never knew I could love someone I just met so much. 

I'm so grateful to everyone who's helped me thus far. Whether through just talking, bringing food over, sending gifts or helping with the care of baby Nola. It's really made all the difference...(mom, don't leave!)

I prayed for a baby that liked to sleep. I didn't realize I needed to be more specific and ask for the exact times I wanted her to sleep (she currently sleeps all day and is awake all night). I also didn't realize I needed to pray that she would wake up to eat every few hours.

I can't stand to hear her cry or see that bottom lip come out. I just want to protect her forever. 

I will take advice and try just about anything to make sure I'm doing what's best for her. It's overwhelming at times, and I just want her to be happy. 

I'm obsessed with her - the funny faces she makes, that tiny little body, those chubby cheeks and all that hair  - I love everything!

Seeing Dell with her makes me love and respect him even more. He's already the best daddy and I can't wait for our adventure to continue. 

I love our little family. As Dell says, she's the best thing that's ever happened to us.

I know how blessed I am to have this healthy baby girl and I want to cherish every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment